Monday, June 11, 2007

Wicked-ly Amazing!

Last week, my sister and I took our mother to see Wicked the musical as a combined (yet belated) Mother's Day gift. (I'm still in awe!) Days leading up to the production, several friends of mine seethed with jealousy, admitting that they too wished they were going to see the new musical. Since this was everyone's first time seeing it, we were definitely in for a treat! We opted to grab a bite to eat prior to the 2 p.m. curtain call. My mother and and I arrived downtown at my sister's apartment around 11 a.m. and were pleasantly surprised to be treated to mimosas and cheese! After a bit of catching up and munching, we walked down a few blocks and enjoyed a nice lunch not far from Wrigley Field.

The musical was held at the Ford Center of Performing Arts in Chicago. As we stepped off the train, we were met with crowds of adults and little kids giddy with enthusiasm. Stepping in the theatre, one immediately felt a rush of excitement. The newly remodeled theatre was exquisite! My mother raved about how much it had changed and what a difference there was years ago to now. Just in case anyone is curious, the seating at Ford Center contains stadium seating so everyone can enjoy a part of the show without having to sit on a booster seat.

In all honestly, I don't want to sit here and describe in great detail what occurred during the actual musical. That would ruin it for anyone who has not seen it yet. In my opinion, books are (most of the time) better than the movie, yet this does not apply to musicals. Before seeing Wicked, I felt the need to gain some sort of familiarity with the characters and setting, just so as to make sure I wasn't completely lost from the very beginning. This isn't necessary for everyone, but on the other hand, it did not ruin my experience of the story either. If anything, I was able to recognize who was who and their integral role in the storyline.

What I will share with you is what grabbed my interest so much to the point that as of right now, the soundtrack currently is playing in my car -- on repeat. Right from the very opening, my eyes were drawn to the exquisitely beautiful costumes. No matter what role they played, each character donned velvet, shiny, leather or sparkling attire fit for royalty. The moment Galinda (or Glinda as some know), played by Erin Mackey, madeher stunning entrance, all eyes rested on her. The flawless singing and choeographed routines werejust incredible with no words to describe the passion these actors/actresses have for theatre, as well as the story.

Without a doubt, the best part of the musical was the number leading into the intermission. Dee Roscioli joined the Chicago cast all the way from the east coast and does an amazing job as Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West! I'd have to say she gave the original Elphaba, Idina Menzel, true competition. I cannot begin to explain the feeling you get just watching Roscioli "fly" in the center of the stage singing her heart out in "Defying Gravity." Where as some singers may slightly crack at high pitches or notes, Roscioli excelled. Her rendition of "Defying Gravity" sent chills down my spine, as well as the rest the audience's I'm sure.

The ending is going to have to remain a secret...until you see it! And let's just say, the most unlikely things can happen. Any mysteries there were in the "Wizard of Oz" vanish when you see this musical!

Aside from buying Wicked tickets (Wicked theatre tickets), make sure to also purchase the soundtrack. After seeing the musical, you're going to love reliving it through each musical track. After purchasing the tickets and seeing the musical, make sure to let me know what you thought.

Wicked is an experience all in its own!

Here are some of my favorite quotes!

Glinda: You're still riding that old thing?
Elphaba: Well we can't all come and go by bubble!

Glinda: I know you don't want to hear this but someone has to say it! You are out of control! I mean they're just shoes...let it go! Oh give the girl her shoes back Elphie, and that dog -- dodo?

Glinda: It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to answer, that was rhetorical.

Glinda: I don't understand why you can't just teach us history instead of always harping on the past.

No comments: